Alongside the 6-Star Green Star Communities rating, Parklands also obtained the maximum possible score for the criteria on innovation. The numerous innovative initiatives included:
- Partnering with the local community to raise funds for Southport Special School
- Including a “Changing Places” facility and accessible residential design
- Creating a Reconciliation Action Plan
- Supporting Indigenous Australian students through skills training
- Providing sustainability awareness/education centres on site that inform people about its sustainability features
Emily Low, WSP’s Associate Director – Sustainability says, “Parklands achieving a 6-Star Green Star Communities rating is a testament to the strength of the project team’s vision. The team sought to develop a community that reflects the history and culture associated with the site with strong embedded sustainability through design principles and governance. This vision has created a healthy, accessible and world-leading place, which encourages social and community prosperity.”
WSP provided the following services on this project: Building Services, Sustainability, Transport Planning, Rail, Traffic Modelling, Integrated Transport Systems and GIS. Having played a key role in every stage of the development of the Village, our teams became fully part of the project journey and gained an in-depth understanding of the Games' overarching vision.