Image credit: Lendlease
Enhancing Social Cohesion and Resident Wellbeing
Offering an integrated retirement living community, with an innovative continuum of care strategy from retirement living to aged care, the precinct will support the health and wellbeing of residents with spacious homes, including 300 independent living apartments and penthouse-style homes, easy access to public transport, along with a range of lifestyle amenities to foster community engagement.
Some of the design initiatives that will enhance social cohesion and enabled the Green Star Commuities rating to be achieved, include:
- Community food garden
- Signficant green space, walking paths, rooftop gardens and recreational facilities (pool, spa, gymnasium)
- Community activities and events (book club, poetry club, yoga, bowling club)
Delivering Sustainable Outcomes For All
Working closely with the client to deliver the Green Star Communities rating, our team provided Future Ready advice on key trends such as climate change and community resilience.
The precinct has been designed to reduce resource consumption through on-site initaitives that will reduce energy and water bills for residents, including:
- solar Photovoltaic (PV) cells to offset the communal area power
- rainwater tanks to enable irrigation water supply
- efficient HVAC systems within the retirement living apartments, designed to achieve an average NatHERS rating of 7.4 Stars
Another key consideration of the design is its responsive to climate trends. Initiatives have been incorporated to reduce the impacts of heat island effect and support the health of the vulnerable demograph, through:
- Passive design strategies
- Light coloured roofs
- Significant greenery
Our team also developed a Community Resilience Plan to help inform the residents of climate change impacts, as well as the management measures and emergency plans that will be implemented across the site.
Bernborough Ascot has also been recognised globally for its demonstration of leadership, achieving first place in the 2020 GRESB Sustainability Ranking for the Asia Pacific region in the Residential Non-Listed category. GRESB is the global environmental, social and governance (ESG) benchmark for real estate assets.