WSP was appointed as EPCM Consultant for the Port of Mombasa infrastructure, to be used as an export facility from the Kwale Mineral Sands project, Kenya’s first large mining development since 1911. The project received an award for Excellence in Project Management and Construction from the South African Institution of Civil Engineering in 2014.
We formed a team for layout planning and design of the port facility. The full spectrum of disciplines was involved to ensure all requirements were met. Dedicated project management made all elements come together to provide a fit-for- purpose facility with nominal delay despite challenges.
In addition to the commissioning of the facility, our EPCM contract services included:
- Marine engineering design, including selection of optimum offshore location for the jetty and load-out platform
- Detailed design of shiploader and conveyor system
- Design of structural steel building
- Civil and infrastructure engineering
- Electrical distribution and control
- Procurement: preparing tender documentation and drawings, evaluating tenderers and making recommendations to the client regarding potential contractors
- Construction management of all disciplines throughout the construction phase
- Construction supervision of all contractors on site.