At the time of construction, the much anticipated $1B new Royal Children’s Hospital was the largest ever hospital development in Victoria. Delivered as a PPP by Children’s Health Partnership, this complex three-stage project was the recipient of over 35 major national and international awards, including the top award at both the Victorian and Australian Architecture Awards in 2012.
Providing all civil and structural design for the entire project, our team demonstrated efficient and flexible structural design throughout the project, including an innovative precast shell, acting as permanent formwork to avoid propping formwork over a long span transfer for multiple floor heights.
Our Ongoing Delivery Across Projects Stages
Stage 1 (2008 to 2012) involved the construction of the main acute hospital, immediately adjacent to the existing site. This provided 130,000m² of space, 13 operating theatres, IPUs, medical imaging, and outpatients, while also including 40,000m² for the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (MCRI) and a four-level basement containing central plant, emergency generators, logistics hub, kitchens and 2,300 parking spaces.
Stage 2 (2012 to 2013) involved the hospital operations being transferred to new building over a single weekend. The former hospital buildings were demolished, enabling a 1300 space underground car park and “Art Series” Hotel to be built on the site. The former front entry building was transferred to consulting suites and the Research Precinct Building was over-clad and refurbished as further space for MCRI. The completion of the project brought the total building area to 230,000m².