We understand that energy is at the core of everything we do, no matter where we live in Canada. That is why our team of experts believe in applying innovative thinking to seamlessly integrating renewable energy projects into the built and natural environments.
WSP has developed a solid expertise in the area of hydroelectric facility design. Whether working on a newer facility or inspecting and rehabilitating existing facilities, our multidisciplinary team approaches each project with a customer-focused and constructive approach while employing the latest tools to find the most appropriate solutions.
Expertise across the lifecycle
With a fuel source that is clean and renewable, hydropower is one of the world's most important energy sources - generating almost one-fifth of the world's total electricity. However, current and future trends are threatening the industry. Climate change and shifting rainfall patterns shrink river flows and drain lakes, leading to decreased power generation. Population growth puts strains on freshwater supply.
At WSP, we understand the challenges our clients face. WSP's Canadian hydropower team is widely considered a world leader in the development of hydropower projects with specialized expertise and distinct services in a number of areas. Our experts, for decades, have carried out all types of hydropower projects of varying size across the country and abroad. A key success to our project delivery is our comprehensive experience combined with knowledge and contacts in the industry at large. We offer a comprehensive range of services spanning the entire lifecycle of a hydropower project from feasibility to implementation including power station design, construction supervision and operations & maintenance support.
Experience and expertise
Our hydropower experts are renowned for their effectiveness, understanding of customer needs as well as for their creative ability to carry out renewable energy projects and integrate them into the natural and built environments.
We have developed a strong expertise in the field of hydroelectric facility design. Whether our clients need help with the design of new facilities or inspection and rehabilitation of existing ones, our multidisciplinary team provides innovative solutions to achieve optimal results.
Our Practice Areas:
- Hydrology and Hydraulics (1D, 2D and 3D modeling)
- Civil and Structural Design and Stability Analysis
- Geotechnical and Geological Engineering
- Flood Risk Assessments
- Dams and Dam Safety
- Turbine-generator Selection and Review (W2W)
- Heavy Mechanical Design (gates, hoists, etc.)
- Medium and High-Voltage Electrical Design
- Auxiliary Electrical and Mechanical Services
- Project Planning, River Surveys and Feasibility Studies
- Preliminary Engineering and Design
- Environmental Assessment, Surveys and Permitting
- Resource Assessment and Energy Forecasts
Engineering and Construction
- Tender Package and Selection Process
- Detailed Engineering for Construction
- Owner’s Engineer Services
- Independent Third-Party Design Review
- Construction Management (EPCM)
- Commissioning, Testing and Start-up
Operations and Asset Management
- Performance Assessment
- Condition Assessment
- Risk and Safety Analysis
- Engineering and Design
Mergers, Divestitures and Acquisitions
- Advisory Services and Project Risk Review
- Independent Engineer Services
- Technical Due Diligence Analysis
- Inspections of Hydropower plants