State-of- the-art equipment, coupled with strategic modelling and risk assessment techniques, enable WSP to evaluate problems accurately and engineer workable solutions to complex and potentially costly environmental issues.
Our approach to environmental acoustics is characterised by depth of expertise and a commitment to quality assurance and innovation. Our modelling experts have a range of resources available from initial screening assessments to complex source and terrain modelling. These are used on a client- and project- specific basis to provide the most appropriate solutions. As needed, we can call on our experts from around the world to ensure all aspects in acoustic monitoring and modelling are covered and thereby comply with international standards and methods.
Instrumentation and Monitoring
WSP has been involved in the installation and monitoring of millions of dollars’ worth of geotechnical ground and building monitoring systems associated with shored excavations, tunnels, dams, dewatering projects, and for slope stability monitoring. These clients include large-scale general contractors, governments, transit and transportation clients as well as major energy companies.
Instrumentation and Monitoring Services:
- Vibration and Ground Movement Monitoring
- Remote and Real Time Monitoring
- Shoring Monitoring
- Building/Structure Deformation Monitoring (Movement, Tilt, Strain, Load, Pressure)
- Underwater surveillance for marine infrastructure
Noise and Acoustics
WSP’s acoustic services team plays a leading role in the acoustic services field in Canada. The team is made up of professional technicians and engineers with extensive experience, including noise exposure forecasts, noise level surveys, regulatory compliance, noise source identification and noise reduction proposals.
Since WSP is a licensed soundproofing contractor, the team also contributes to project management with a view to implementing corrective measures to reduce noise in industrial areas.
Noise and Acoustic Services:
- Noise level surveys (compliance studies)
- Construction surveillance
- Regulatory and Community noise impact studies
- Source identification and noise reduction recommendations
- Exposure forecasts using computerized simulations
- Noise reduction implementation, including turnkey projects
- Workplace noise studies, including sound measurement and employee dosimetry
- Evaluation of exposure to hand/arm vibrations and whole-body vibrations
- Acoustical imaging
- Establishment of noise control programs and Corrective noise reduction measures
- Turnkey projects for implementing noise/vibration controls
- Noise level specifications for equipment purchases
- Acoustic design for new facilities (noise mitigation)
- Employee noise exposure surveillance program
- Soundproofing recommendations
- Acoustic efficiency evaluations
- Measurement of wall acoustic insulation (sound transmission/impact indices)
- Acoustic optimization for concert halls, theatres, public buildings, etc.
- Sound comfort evaluation for specific applications (intelligibility, NC)
Marine Acoustic Monitoring:
- Baseline underwater noise measurement and noise rating curves analysis
- Real-time monitoring and spatial location of marine mammals
- Determination of underwater sound levels emitted by different types of machinery: power hammer, pneumatic drill, vibratory hammer, hydraulic excavator, ships, ferries, dredger, etc.
- Real-time vibration monitoring (construction site)
- Mitigation measures elaboration for constructions close to railways or shutting yards
- Mechanical equipment isolation (isolator isolation, inertia base design)
- Blasting monitoring and optimization (vibration, flyrock and overpressure)