The majority of UK Local Councils HIAMs documents were produced over 5 years ago and since then there has been a number of fundamental changes which mean many of these plans are no longer Future Ready and there is an urgent need to revise these documents.
The key changes are :
- The Climate Emergency declarations made over the last 2-3 years by most Local Councils and the associated ambitious carbon reduction targets.
- The recently published UK Government’s Transport Decarbonisation Plan
- The increasing impact of severe weather events caused by climate change and the need for greater resilience.
- The importance of protecting the natural environment and bio-diversity
- The introduction of a Risk Based Approach prompted by the latest Good Practice Guidance
- The changing use of road space as a result of the move to more sustainable transport and in particular more Active Travel
- And finally the New Normal societal changes associated with a post Covid recovery
This webinar describes how WSP is working with a range of Local Councils to revise their HIAM documents to take account of these changes.
Matthew Lugg - Head of Profession , Local Government, WSP in the UK