The project objective is to study the feasibility of fully incorporating a BEB into a public transit line, preferably on a bus route with a high percentage of student clientele requiring transport between downtown Lima and the University of Lima campus.
Client Brief/Project Challenges
WSP provided the following services as a part of the feasibility study:
- Transit Route Service Assessment for the introduction of electric buses
- Addressing the challenge of evaluating electric buses in a new market, including operating conditions of passengers, stops, elevations and vehicle schematics.
- Vehicle Configuration and Recommendations for electric buses to suit route needs/requirements, utilizing the Battery Optimization and Lifecycle Tool (BOLT) to determine the feasibility of operating BEBs
- BEB Vehicle Specification Development and Production Quality assurance oversight
- Facility and Charging Infrastructure (end point) Assessment and Feasibility of installation at identified site locations.
- Operations & Maintenance Impact Assessment of electric buses in Peru; identifications of gaps to be addressed for managing new technology
- Environmental Impact Assessment, including GHG reductions
- Total Lifecycle Cost Model of electric buses
- User Experience Analysis
- Pilot Project Strategy, including recommendation of an optimal route for the pilot
WSP analyzed and evaluated the potential for piloting electric buses using its proprietary simulation Battery Optimization and Lifecycle Tool (BOLT). Furthermore, WSP developed a Total Lifecycle Cost for electric buses.
WSP recommended the route to be selected for an electric bus pilot program, and identified other options, including BRT electrification and an 18m bus option. WSP developed the methodology for the management and monitoring of the pilot and provided insight on supporting a greater public awareness of the advantages of clean energy and access to a new technology for the Lima transportation system. WSP performed the following:
- Electric Bus Feasibility Study Development
- Pilot Program Development and Recommendation
List of primary services
- Electric bus system selection
- Electric charging options sift
- Whole-life cycle cost comparisons and business case
- Feasibility study
- Development of electric bus pilot program and rollout strategy
- Pilot project route selection
- Electric bus lifecycle cost
- Electric bus performance and transit route modelling
- Electric bus maintenance program
- Electric bus plant production quality inspection