Good acoustic design can reduce stress, benefit learning and improve health. We help our clients to understand noise and vibration constraints and advise on how best mitigate them. Identifying the right risk at the right time helps identify how this can best be reduced or managed in a way that supports our clients’ objectives.
With over 50 acoustic, noise and vibration consultants, we are one of the largest dedicated acoustics consultancy practices in the UK. This, coupled with over 170 acousticians based in most major cities around the world means we are able to quickly mobilise local teams whilst leveraging global best practice and experience for our clients.
We have a strong track record in acoustic, noise and vibration design across many sectors including transport and energy infrastructure, urban mixed use schemes, leisure and education. Examples include the iconic Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool and HMP Oakwood Prison in the West Midlands, and noise and vibration assessment for the Beauly-Denny overhead transmission line project in Scotland.
Our approach to environmental acoustics is characterised by our depth of expertise and commitment to quality assurance and innovation. Our modelling experts have a range of resources available from initial screening assessments to complex source and terrain modelling. These are used on to provide the most appropriate solutions for each client and project. We can also call on our experts from around the world to ensure all aspects in acoustic monitoring and modelling are covered and thereby comply with international standards and methods.
We’re specialists in environmental impact assessment and architectural design, a sponsor member of the Institute of Acoustics and ANC Award Winners 2014 and 2015.
Our core environmental acoustics management services include:
• Acoustic impact assessments
• Baseline noise level assessments
• Assessment of best practicable measures to reduce construction impacts
• Noise source monitoring
• Predictive acoustic modelling
• Quantitative health risk assessments for hazardous noise levels
Noise and acoustics
Our experience includes noise exposure forecasts, noise level surveys, regulatory compliance, noise source identification and noise reduction proposals. Our team also contributes to project management with a view to implementing corrective measures to reduce noise in industrial areas.
• Noise level surveys
• Construction surveillance
• Regulatory and community noise impact studies
• Source identification and noise reduction recommendations
• Exposure forecasts using computerised simulations
• Noise reduction implementation
• Workplace noise studies, including sound measurement and employee dosimetry
• Evaluation of exposure to hand/arm vibrations and whole-body vibrations
• Acoustical imaging
• Establishment of noise control programs and corrective noise reduction measures
• Noise level specifications for equipment purchases
• Acoustic design for new facilities (noise mitigation)
Marine acoustic monitoring
• Baseline underwater noise measurement and noise rating curves analysis
• Real-time monitoring and spatial location of marine mammals
• Determination of underwater sound levels emitted by different types of machinery: power hammer, pneumatic drill, vibratory hammer, hydraulic excavator, ships, ferries, dredger, etc.
• Real-time vibration monitoring (construction site)
• Specification of mitigation measures for constructions close to railways
• Finite difference time domain modelling of vibration in buildings
• Mechanical equipment isolation (isolator isolation, inertia base design)
• Blasting monitoring and optimisation (vibration, flyrock and overpressure)