A recent survey undertaken by Water New Zealand and WSP water experts, Troy Brockbank and Liam Foster has uncovered some interesting discrepancies between the water sector and wider industry concerning diversity in the workplace.
Last month, we reached out to ten of NZ's largest water consultancies to contribute towards our survey; the high-level data that was shared represents over 1,000 water experts and professionals.
While the water sector represents approximately 2% of the wider design, engineering, science and transport (DEST) workforce, our findings show that it performs better for diversity in the workplace.
Looking at today's workforce, our findings show:
- 15 per cent of our principals, leaders and managers are female.
- 24 per cent of the represented engineers are female.
- 47 per cent of the represented scientists are female.
- 6 per cent of the represented operators are female.
- 47 per cent of the represented are under 35 and;
- 60 per cent of the represented are female and under 35 - proving water to be the most gender and age-diverse sector in comparison to the wider industry.