The overall goal was to deliver an AMP document that:
- met Business Case requirements to support an application for financial assistance from NZTA
- supported Waitaki District Council (WDC) consultation on the 2021-30 Long Term Plan
- met the WDC Asset Management Policy requirements (within 10% of target practice level, measured through self-assessment).
Shared collaborative project goals and success factors included:
- A good outcome would be a plan that is used as an example by the Road Efficiency Group (REG)
- The AMP must tell a compelling and engaging story (what, why and when). It must provide documentary confidence to investors and be supported by the local NZTA investment advisor
- The AMP must make better use of risk management principles and include better discussion of lifecycle options
- The updated plan must be delivered on time
The project resulted in an updated AMP, aligned to the regional and national context and priorities, presenting a compelling investment case for the preferred option. The update will be based on information and analysis provided by WDC.
The deliverable was a single AMP document, structured and formatted as three parts. Each part was to be separable and independently updatable and focused on different audiences.
PART A - The Business Case
AUDIENCE: Investors (e.g. Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency, WDC, Regional Land Transport Committee - RLTC)
FOCUS: To answer the 'why invest' question. Describes the operating environment, strategic issues and future aspirations. Identifies the case for change or maintaining the status quo.
- Strategic context - Describes the assumptions of the future, risks, objectives, and underlying or umbrella strategic documents. Positions the desired objectives against the wider local, regional and national outcomes. Describes WDC's approach to AM and service delivery.
- Strategic Assessment - Defines the strategic problems, options, benefits & consequences. Confirms the preferred option, costs, and the outcomes that will be achieved.
PART B - Activity Management Plan
AUDIENCE: Community; Council Reporting (Annual Plan, LTP)
FOCUS: Service outcomes. Provides detail around the response to the planned/assumed future state scenario. Explains what we are going to do and how we are going to do it. Extracts can be lifted for the Annual Plan and LTP.
- Outcomes - Identifies levels of service and stakeholder views/needs and the major gaps in service level.
- Programme - Identifies a programme of work and activities (operations, maintenance, renewals, and new/improvement programmes) and financial forecasts to deliver on the business case.
- Supporting evidence - Provides robust evidence that the programme represents best value for money. Identifies a list of alternatives, options, and the potential costs/risks associated with the preferred option.
PART C - Asset Management Plan
AUDIENCE: Transportation Staff; Contractors
FOCUS: A technical document describing detailed management approaches and options for asset portfolios and activity programmes
- Lifecycle Management Plans - detailed analysis of each portfolio scope, issues/service gaps, options, costs, risks and benefits.
- AM Systems - A description of the asset management people, practices, tools and processes used to manage and deliver the activity.
- Improvement Plan - an assessment of gaps in the AM System and description of the plan to close the gaps.
Project proceeded through Covid-19 L4 lockdown - testament to the great efforts by Technical Lead Matt Rodwell and supported by Damien Douglas.