Our road design solutions are safety focused and draw on expertise from right across the engineering, research and design disciplines, from understanding human behaviour to the economics of building road assets.
WSP works with the New Zealand Transport Agency, local councils, contractors, private developers as well as residential land owners. We have an in-depth understanding of network operations and road network asset management that enables us to design public and private roads that offer value for money over the asset’s life cycle.
Our work is greatly supported by WSP Research specialists with unique insights into how people use transport, and in-depth knowledge of asset and materials performance.
We have about 500 staff across our New Zealand offices with a huge range of skills and disciplines that support road design.
Our experience in New Zealand
We have extensive experience in:
- Rural road, urban streetscape and intersection design including integration with urban and landscape design elements
- Expressway and motorway design including the assessment, design and development of complex interchanges and intersections
- Road safety assessments and auditing for various clients including the New Zealand Transport Agency and local authorities
- Planning and designing public transport facilities including bus lane integration, park and ride facilities
- Planning and designing walking and cycling facilities from dedicated facilities through to integrated cycle lanes, and shared urban streetscapes (shared road spaces)
- Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS)
- Procurement and management of projects through complex design, tendering, and construction phases – including conventional, design and construct, and alliance forms of delivery
Road design services
Our road design services include:
- Project management of large scale transportation projects through investigation, design, procurement and construction phases
- Geometric design and road safety design/auditing/reviews
- Geotechnical and earthworks design
- Serving as consultation specialists to support stakeholder engagement processes
- Designing facilities for walking and cycling
- Pavement and surfacing design
- Street and walkway lighting design