The winners, who will be celebrated at a gala on April 28th in New York City, exemplify WSP’s multidisciplinary expertise, technical excellence and innovation, helping to transform the built environment both horizontally and vertically.
“The U.S. Awards Program is a reminder that everything we do has a positive impact on the communities we serve through our contributions in buildings, energy, transportation and water and environment projects,” said Gregory A. Kelly, CEO of WSP USA. “I always feel gratitude and pride as we celebrate the remarkable achievements of our people and projects.”
WSP’s Project of the Year award winners include purposeful and sustainable projects that help shape communities, including:
- Structural engineering of the American Cooper Buildings, a residential skyscraper on Manhattan’s east side with two towers leaning in two orthogonal directions, defying the preconceived notion of vertical stability
- Robinson Butane Cavern, hard-rock butane storage cavern 700 feet below a refinery in Robinson, Illinois, with a design capacity of 1.4 million barrels, that was delivered under budget and almost one year ahead of schedule
- Mechanical-electrical-plumbing engineering, lighting design, built ecology services and technology systems services for the new 704,000-square-foot San Diego Central Courthouse
- A multidisciplinary, industry-leading pilot study, entitled Transportation Engineering Approaches to Climate Resiliency, commissioned by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration to develop approaches for incorporating the effects of extreme weather and climate change into the transportation infrastructure design process
- The new state-of-the-art Virginia Military Institute Indoor Training Facility, designed with a unique and innovative passive downdraft system for cooling and heating that provides 100% outside air to the space, eliminating the use of fans to reduce building energy usage, and provides a healthier indoor environment
The U.S Awards program will also celebrate the individual contributions of some of WSP’s people in categories such as innovation, diversity, community outreach, project management and more. Lifetime Achievement award winner, Gregory P. Benz, will be honored in recognition of his nearly four-decade career with WSP, his contributions to technical innovation that have advanced the state of the industry’s practice, and his commitment to mentoring and knowledge sharing. Other award winners who will be recognized include:
- Recipients of WSP’s Research and Innovation Fellowship, an annual program designed to foster and accelerate the development and application of bright ideas by providing seed funding and mentoring
- The winners of the Developing Professionals Network’s Emerging Professionals Innovation Challenge, WSP’s new research and design competition for employees with five or fewer years on the job
- The Power of ONE winning team, a collaborative competition where teams came together to develop an integrated vision and pursue business opportunities for six cities across the U.S.
WSP will also honor its technical champions through its Technical Principal/Fellow Program, which recognizes employees who, through their creative efforts and commitment to excellence, have demonstrated exceptional levels of technical and professional achievement, dedicating their careers to developing a deep subject matter expertise that has helped clients solve some of their most significant challenges.
About WSP USA
WSP USA, formerly WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, is the U.S. operating company of one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms—WSP. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment sectors. With more than 7,000 people in 100 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
Jayanti Menches, SVP, Director Communications