Under an emergency rehabilitation program funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), a new power plant was required to provide more commercial power to Liberia on a fast-track basis. The plant required rapid delivery, with a schedule from contract award to inauguration in just eight months.
WSP delivered a 10 MW turnkey power plant for Liberia Electricity Corporation at Bushrod Island within the accelerated schedule. Amid the challenges posed by a long rainy season, including limited access to roads and uncertain shipping times, WSP provided all procurement, logistics services and heavy construction. The semi-permanent power station includes:
- A 10 MW power plant and equipment to synchronize it with an existing 5 MW plant.
- Ancillary electrical equipment and 22 kV switchgear.
- A 100,000-gallon above ground fuel storage and supply system.
- A hurricane-resistant structural steel cover.
- Testing, commissioning and turnover to Liberia Electricity Corporation.
- Training of local workforce, including Liberia Electricity Corporation’s operators