WSP works with clients early in the planning process to ensure that technical analyses and local decisions transition seamlessly into federal environmental review; that resulting projects are federally compliant; and that projects are competitive for U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) discretionary funding. We help clients navigate through complex processes and requirements and stay informed of the latest federal policy developments.
Key grant and funding programs that WSP advises clients on include:
- Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Capital Investment Grants (New Starts, Small Starts and Core Capacity)
- USDOT Better Utilizing Investment to Leverage Development (BUILD) Grants (formerly Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery, or TIGER)
- Federal Highway Administration Infrastructure for Rebuilding America (INFRA) Grants (formerly FASTLANE)
Our team includes former USDOT planning, policy, and grant program leadership. We are planning and environmental practitioners who understand how to connect the two processes to ensure the streamlined advancement of transportation infrastructure investments. We offer the technical and strategic expertise needed to effectively address grant criteria and make an effective business case. In fact, members of our team helped establish the requirements and procedures that guide many USDOT programs today.
WSP understands the project justification and financial criteria for New Starts, Small Starts, and Core Capacity transit investments. We perform USDOT-compliant benefit cost analyses for competitive grant programs such as BUILD and INFRA. And we appreciate that good planning leads to good decisions. That means consider financial feasibility early in the planning process to ensure that transportation corridor analyses support competitive federal investments and transition seamlessly into federal environmental review—in other words, a strategic approach to project planning.
WSP can play a variety of planning and program management roles, helping clients make smart investment decisions for their projects. Our full-service team helps clients:
- Stay informed of funding opportunities and federal policy and regulatory developments
- Ensure that transportation planning analyses can transition into federal (National Environmental Policy Act, or NEPA) review
- Align capital programs and projects with available federal discretionary funding
- Shape projects to be competitive for funding
- Navigate complex federal pre-grant planning and other requirements
- Apply precedents and innovative planning practices found elsewhere
- Secure federal grants, loans, and credit assistance