WSP works with clients early on to develop a strategic approach to project planning. That means considering financial feasibility early in the planning process and ensuring that the results of transportation corridor analyses make for appealing federal investments and transition seamlessly into the federal environmental review. We help clients navigate through complex processes and requirements and stay informed of the latest federal policy developments.
Key grant and funding programs that WSP advises clients on include:
- Federal Transit Administration Capital Investment Grants (New Starts, Small Starts and Core Capacity)
- U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity Grants (formerly TIGER and BUILD)
- Federal Highway Administration Infrastructure for Rebuilding America Grants (formerly FASTLANE)
- USDOT Maritime Administration Port Infrastructure Development Grants
- Federal Railroad Administration discretionary grants
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities Grants
Our team includes former USDOT planning, policy and grant program leadership. We are planning and environmental practitioners who understand how to connect the two processes to ensure the streamlined advancement of transportation infrastructure investments. We offer the technical and strategic expertise needed to effectively address grant criteria and make an effective business case. In fact, members of our team helped establish the requirements and procedures that guide many USDOT programs today.
Since 2009, WSP has assisted a variety of public sector clients secure over $31 billion in federal funding and financing opportunities. These include transportation agencies and local governments working on highway, transit, freight and port capital investment projects. In California alone, WSP has supported both highway and transit clients in securing over $2.9 billion in competitive state funding and over $12.9 billion in competitive federal funding for over 50 projects since 2010. This includes the over $1.6 billion in Capital Investment Grants that WSP helped secure for Bay Area Rapid Transit’s Transbay Core Capacity Program.
WSP can play a variety of planning and program management roles, helping clients make smart investment decisions for their projects. Our full-service team helps clients:
- Stay informed of funding opportunities and federal policy and regulatory developments
- Ensure that transportation planning analyses can transition into federal (National Environmental Policy Act, or NEPA) review
- Align capital programs and projects with available federal discretionary funding
- Shape projects to be competitive for funding
- Navigate complex federal pre-grant planning and other requirements
- Apply precedents and innovative planning practices found elsewhere
- Secure federal grants, loans, and credit assistance