WSP in Africa provided the structural engineering design. Our services we provided included:
- Preliminary and detailed civil and structural design
- Structural and civil tender and construction documentation
- Full time construction monitoring
- The entire primary structural system comprises of reinforced concrete as the main construction material due to its versatility, strength properties, cost effectiveness and propensity to facilitate the construction programme.
In order to meet time constraints the construction of reinforced concrete superstructure commenced in two primary areas:
- The tower block portion surrounding the primary cores that extend the full height of the building comprising the office space.
- The podium area which extends approximately a quarter of the building height comprising of largely parking areas.
- The design team’s commitment to sustainability resulted in several sustainability measures being taken regarding the reinforced concrete specifications – including use of a high percentage of cement replacement fines in the concrete mix designs and the prerequisite of the reinforcing steel to be manufactured from at least 90% recycled content. Thus a 46% cement replacement with industrial waste products was achieved across all concrete use.
The building envelope is clad fully in a fully glazed curtain wall façade to capitalise on the extraordinary views of the city, and to maintain an optimally comfortable internal working environment by efficient integration of the façade with the HVAC and lighting systems.
To ensure the highest quality design, we sought advice from our New York office with the aim of capitalising on their expertise in high-rise buildings.