What should we do with the waste we generate? What is the potential for recycling materials during a building redevelopment or demolition? Can process-related wastes be beneficiated or reused? Should materials be sent to landfills or to energy-from-waste (EfW) facilities? How can we implement a programme where food waste and other biodegradable waste can be converted into renewable energy? Can a city’s waste management system handle the growing stream of electronic waste? These are just some of the questions we need to concern ourselves with to improve sustainable management of resources.
Our engineers and waste management specialists advise public bodies on regional waste policies, implement waste minimisation programmes for large corporations and design waste strategies for new developments and new EfW facilities. We provide services ranging from technical feasibility studies of new waste technologies and gasification techniques, through to the management and disposal of both solid and liquid, general (non-hazardous), hazardous and clinical waste.
WSP’s experts are familiar with major international and local waste regulations and international best practices, as well as the latest innovations and technologies. Our experts possess the experience and expertise to develop and deliver innovative, environmentally sound and legally compliant solutions to mitigate today’s challenging waste management and regulatory issues.
Our services include:
- Strategy and Policy Development
- Legislative Advice
- Waste Audits and Minimisation Strategies
- Waste Classification as per the Globally Harmonised System (GHS)
- Waste Profiling for Landfill Disposal as per National Norms and Standards
- Appraisal of Landfill Disposal Prohibitions as per National Norms and Standards
- Preparation of Safety Data Sheets for Hazardous Wastes
- Recycling and Composting Collection Methods
- Strategies and Master Plans for New Developments
- Site Waste Management Plans
- Environmental Permitting
- Waste Exclusion Appraisals
- Mechanical, Biological and Thermal Treatment Options
- Clinical and Hazardous Waste Management
- Procurement Assistance
- Technology Appraisals and Feasibility Studies
- WRATE Modelling
- Waste Composition Analysis and Program Management
- Landfill, Leachate Treatment and Biogas Collection System Design
- Waste Site Rehabilitation
- Financial Models and Financial Assurance Documentation
- Construction Administration and Inspection and Testing Services
- Design, Operations and Closure Plans
- Compliance Monitoring Programmes
Our work experience
WSP was appointed to classify, type profile and produce Safety data sheets for more than 100 liquid and solid waste streams generated at various Scaw South Africa operations in Gauteng.
Scaw had identified a large range of wastes across multiple operations. While many of these were particular to a facility, some were common to a number of plants. Scaw wished to consolidate its waste management responsibilities to ensure NEM: WA compliance.
WSP was also appointed to classify, type profile and produce Safety Data Sheets for 59 liquid and solid waste streams generated by Tronox Mineral Sand’s operations in KwaZulu-Natal. We were also required to provide a consolidated waste management plan.
This project was required to update and refine the management of wastes generated by the operations to comply with the amended National Environmental Management: Waste Act (NEM: WA) and accompanying Waste Classification and Management Regulations and applicable National Norms and Standards.
Tronox had identified a large range of wastes across its mining operations. The vast majority were distinct and Tronox wished to consolidate waste management responsibilities to ensure compliance with the NEM: WA.