Sydney’s Port Botany container port is one of Australia's largest and is a critical part of the logistics chain for New South Wales. The original Port Botany facility opened in 1979, but a major expansion project to manage increasing demand was conducted between 2007 and 2012, adding a third container terminal and accommodating a greater number and size of ships. The AU$1 billion project was designed to provide significant extra capacity to meet projected long-term trade growth.
WSP* provided geotechnical services for the design and construction of the Port Botany Expansion (PBE) - an infrastructure project on a massive, once-in-a-generation scale.
To create a third terminal, 60 hectares of land was reclaimed, with dredging of approximately 11 million cubic metres of material. Strong, stable foundations needed to be created to support the placement of more than 215 concrete counterfort units weighing 640 tonnes each. These units, created on site, formed a 1850 metre long, 21.5 metre high wall to accommodate five new shipping berths. The PBE extension and upgrade works also included new revetment edge structures, bridges, roadways, pedestrian and cycle paths, lookouts, boat ramp and amenities, as well as upgrades to the beach profile and shallow estuarine habitat for migratory shore birds.