Following an international design competition sponsored by the DNPC, WSP (1) was selected by the Da Nang Municipal Engineering and Public Transportation Project Management Unit to prepare designs for the bridge. The six lane bridge emulates the shape of the dragon in the Ly Dynasty. It serves as both a tourist attraction and a boon for economic growth.
Opened in March 2013, the 666-meter-long, multi-arch structure features:
- Six 3.75-meter-wide vehicle lanes.
- Two 2.5-meter-wide sidewalks.
- 2,500 LED lights that illuminate the structure at night.
- The capability to “breathe” fire or water to mark special occasions.
(1) The project was completed by Louis Berger and Ammann & Whitney, the firm's long-span bridge division. Louis Berger was acquired by WSP.