Whether it’s for the expansion of an existing facility on undeveloped or developed land; the extension of a bridge, highway or rail line; building a new hydropower dam, or for a remediation project involving potentially impacted ecological resources, clients count on WSP to provide solutions regarding the protection and restoration of natural resources and ecosystems, environmental and biophysical obligations and compliance with legislation, regulations and policies.
WSP’s natural sciences team includes, among others, ecologists, botanists, ornithologists, biologists, geographers and other scientists specializing in other areas (fish, benthos, amphibians, reptiles, bats, insects, marine mammals and more). They are also supported by environmental specialists such as geologists, engineers and forest engineers, hydrogeologists, geomorphologists, permitting and regulatory experts, and sustainability professionals.
Our specialist services cover a vast range of disciplines in aquatic, marine and terrestrial ecology:
- Ecological impact studies and ecological assessments pursuant to national, federal, provincial and state regulatory programs
- Environmental auditing
- Environmental Due Diligence
- Assessment of ecological values and functions of marine, aquatic and terrestrial environments
- Characterization of plant and animal habitats and communities
- Protection and monitoring of natural environment during development phase
- Wetland and terrestrial environment management plan, including watercourses and floodplains
- Bioengineering – including Slope Stabilization
- Studies of urban ecological systems (linking biological, physical and socioeconomic components)
- Water, soil and sediment quality (contaminant follow-up)
- Plant and animal species inventories, including endangered and invasive species
- Grading and taxonomic identification of benthic organisms, insects and fish stomach contents
- Cartography, geomatics and remote sensing
- Permitting (land, air, coastal, wetland, waterway, water quality) and authorizations
- Ecosystems mapping and inventory
- Ecosystem rehabilitation and restoration, including riverbanks and mine sites
- Development of mitigation and compensation measures
- Public and stakeholder engagement
- Urban ecological design
Contact us for additional information on WSP's capabilities and to discuss how we can help.