WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two signature New York City structures were among 11 WSP USA projects recognized for engineering achievement by the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) at its annual Engineering Excellence Awards gala event on June 13.
The 66 Hudson Boulevard tower, also known as The Spiral, in the Hudson Yards section of New York City; and the multi-phased reconstruction project for the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge, which connects Staten Island and Brooklyn, each received 2023 Honor Awards from the ACEC.
Recognized in the Structural Systems category, the signature element of the 1,041-foot tall, 66-story Manhattan commercial office building is its spiralling terraces, which earned the skyscraper its nickname. With a structural design by WSP USA, the Spiral required unique floor plates at each of the 66 levels of the tower, and the complexity of the horizontal trusses at many floor levels resulted in intricate connections to the core columns.
WSP’s engineering team used solid steel forging to reduce the amount of costly and complex welding needed within the tower’s 2.85 million-square-feet of space. The structure’s 33,000 tons of LEED Silver Certified sustainable steel was manufactured from 100 percent recyclable materials.
Work on the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge included rehabilitation and reconstruction to address long-standing operations and safety issues with the structure, which opened to traffic in 1964. WSP, in a joint venture with HNTB, prepared the master planning document and the first phase of master plan improvements for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the project owner.
The scope of work included reconstruction and rehabilitation of the upper-level approach decks by replacing the structural deck and deficient supporting elements on the Staten Island and Brooklyn approaches. The goal was to extend the suspension bridge’s lifespan; enhance its functionality and approaches; and improve traffic safety.
Nine additional WSP projects for these clients were recognized with ACEC National Recognition Awards in the following categories:
- Special Projects: Absecon Creek Maintenance Dredging and Gateway Confined Disposal Facility (CDF) project. WSP was engaged by the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) to address an existing CDF in Atlantic City that had fallen into disrepair and construct other necessary access and dewatering improvements.
- Special Projects: Cashless Tolling Design and Construction Quality Assurance project. WSP partnered with the New York State Thruway Authority as the design quality assurance engineer for the installation of the Thruway Cashless Tolling system covering 450 miles across New York.
- Small Projects: Emergency repair of Forbes Road following a roadway collapse. WSP served as emergency design engineer for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation to lead the immediate recovery of the Pittsburgh bridge after a dangerous slide closed the bridge to traffic.
- Transportation: The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Interstate 64 Westbound to Interstate 264 Ramp Improvements. WSP was the prime consultant for the northern Kentucky road project that included 3.4 miles of ramps, widening of the existing bridge and addition of two lanes.
- Structural Systems: Lakefront Trail Widening at DLSD Bascule Bridge. WSP served as the primary consultant for design and construction of the bridge crossing the Chicago River that includes 14 total lanes of traffic, for the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT).
- Small Projects: Route 22 / Middle Brook Hurricane Ida Repairs. WSP served as emergency design engineer for NJDOT, providing an accelerated all-repair design to return the Bridgewater, New Jersey roadway and on-ramp to regular use.
- Transportation: Reconstruction of historic Spruce Street Bridge, adjacent to Paterson Great Falls, New Jersey. WSP served as prime consultant, providing design and construction services to reconstruct the five-span, 300-foot-long bridge crossing.
- Transportation: Wells/Wentworth Connector – Segment 3 new roadway. WSP was the prime consultant throughout planning, design and construction for CDOT, developing transformative complete street alignments that connect to major thoroughfares of Chicago’s public roadway framework.
- Structural Systems: West Seattle Corridor Bridge Rehabilitation and Strengthening. As prime consultant and engineer-of record for the City of Seattle Department of Transportation, WSP identified deficiencies in the structure and the need for emergency closure and rehabilitation of the bridge and supported the return of the bridge to service while also extending its design and operational life.
The American Council of Engineering Companies’ annual Engineering Excellence Awards competition recognizes engineering firms for projects that demonstrate an exceptional degree of innovation, complexity, achievement and value.
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, the world’s leading engineering, environment and professional services firms. Recognized on Fast Company’s Brands that Matter One of List for 2022 as a top Community-Minded Business, WSP USA brings together engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals who are dedicated to collaborate in the best interests of serving local communities. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,500 employees in 300 offices across the U.S., WSP partners with its clients to help communities prosper. wsp.com
Download press release