When renovating or demolishing older properties, or redeveloping brownfield sites, not only should the actual risk of harm to site workers be considered, but also how the perceived risk could impact project development plans and site values. Stakeholders need to take the necessary steps to address asbestos, hazardous building materials and air pollutants, and must have action plans, intervention tools and procedures to expose past, present and future environmental issues and health hazards.
WSP’s international team of professionals (engineers, chemists, industrial hygienists, qualified asbestos experts, hazmat specialists, and technicians) evaluates and controls chemical, physical and biological hazards, as well as potential indoor air quality (IAQ) problems. We leverage our extensive inspection and abatement oversight experience to identify the presence, condition and quantities of hazardous materials in the air, water and soil, and to develop cost-effective abatement plans to meet client needs.
WSP provides a complete range of services throughout the project life cycle, including:
- Inspection and evaluation of building / site conditions;
- Evaluation, characterization and monitoring of indoor air and water quality;
- Evaluation of risks in soil and to basements and other enclosed spaces;
- Conducting inventories of hazardous materials and other problematic substances, including chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), halocarbons, lead, asbestos, microbial contamination (mould), metals, heavy metals, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and petroleum storage tanks;
- Conducting compliance audits, developing procedures and drawing up hazardous material management plans;
- Evaluation of workers’ exposure to hazardous materials;
- Developing safe and efficient plans for renovation/demolition of buildings and industrial facilities;
- Preparing technical specifications for abatement work and demolition / dismantling projects;
- Developing decontamination strategies and mitigation measures;
- Evaluating project costs and tendering support services;
- Project management and site supervision services including decontamination, demolition, dismantling and removal of underground storage tanks;
- Evaluation of ambient air quality (institutional, commercial, industrial) and asbestos fibre counting; and
- Developing hazardous materials training and awareness programs.
Contact us to discuss how asbestos and other hazardous materials can be managed in a safe and efficient manner.