Our understanding of geological structures, materials and processes, ground-structure interaction, and construction technologies, combined with the systematic application of investigative, scientific, engineering, and risk management techniques provide practical solutions to ground related issues.
Our geotechnical teams work in close coordination with planners, and both structural and civil engineers. They are typically involved in all aspects of a project from early planning studies through to the construction phase, as well as in the inspection and rehabilitation of existing facilities. This approach provides continuity, and allows for the inter-disciplinary collaboration that is essential to the successful delivery of complex projects.
Putting Our Experience to Work for You
Geotechnical engineering is a fundamental component of infrastructure and building projects, including work for tunnel and underground structures, conventional and long-span bridges, buildings, transit and rail facilities, marine and offshore facilities, mines, airports, water projects, and energy facilities. WSP provides clients with a comprehensive range of specialty geotechnical services required for the planning, design, and implementation of ground engineering projects, as well as to manage the ground risks associated with all infrastructure projects. Our capability in geotechnical engineering is underpinned by an extensive range of expertise and experience of our complementary team of over 600 geotechnical engineering professionals worldwide.
Some of the specialty services provided by our teams include: geotechnical subsurface investigations, structure foundations – such as deep foundations, shallow foundations, testing, supervision, and review, and building foundations - marine and offshore structures, tunnels, caverns and shafts, earth retaining structures, ground improvement, slopes and landslides, embankments, groundwater modeling and dewatering, deep excavations, pavements, earthquake engineering, soil and rock mechanics, numerical analyses, and forensic investigations.
WSP prides itself on its technical expertise and ingenuity, delivering innovative geotechnical services across a broad range of projects nationwide.
- Site characterization, soil and rock investigation
- Retaining wall and reinforced earth analysis and design
- Ground improvement/densification techniques
- Excavation shoring systems evaluation and monitoring and underpinning
- Deep foundation design, pile driving analysis and load testing
- Construction field review and inspection and testing services
- Construction dewatering studies, design and permits to take water
- Slope and excavation stability, terrain assessments, and natural hazard assessments
- Geotechnical foundation design for commercial, industrial, and marine structures bearing capacity and settlement analysis
- Foundation systems including soil dynamics (machine foundations)
- Real-time vibration monitoring (construction sites)
- Instrumentation and monitoring
- Tunneling and dam investigation, including geotechnical baseline reports and dam safety
- Liquefaction and seismic considerations for structural design
- Expert testimony, including geotechnical forensic investigations
- Geotechnical mining