Our geotechnical team employs a rich blend of engineers and geologists with a deep pool of knowledge and experience. We work alongside our clients to break down the barriers of communication and understanding often faced when dealing with the irregularities of the geological environment.
We tackle small and large scale projects to produce cost effective, sustainable and appropriate solutions. Our services are provided nationally through out network of regional and local offices along with an exceptional global knowledge bank we can call on.
Our multi-disciplinary in-house resources means we are well placed to provide any geotechnical or engineering geology solution. Our past and current clients have included central and local government, commercial clients, developers, contractors, private clients and other consultants.
Our services in New Zealand
With local offices in 12 locations throughout New Zealand and a vast global knowledge bank to call on, our team can confidently solve any geotechnical or engineering geology challenge.
Our geotechnical services are extensive and include:
- Assessment, testing and interpretation: Aerial photography, abseiling, aggregate quality, cone penetrometer, contaminated land, earthquake impacts, Geographic Information Services (GIS), geological mapping, geophysical analysis, ground /ground water instrumentation and monitoring, laboratory and research, hydrogeology and modelling, infrastructure resilience and hazards, irrigation schemes, marine and port, numerical modelling, pipeline/corridor, pile testing (PDA), rockfall risk and mitigation, seismic and liquefaction, soil structure interaction, slope stability and remediation, tunnel damage, maintenance and design.
- Design: Breakwater, cut dam design and construction, spread and piled foundations, embankments including lightweight fill, ground improvement, landfill and CQA services, pavements, retaining walls, rock revetments, soil nail and rock bolt, stop bank design and construction, tailings dam,and wind farms.
- Construction and engineering: Seismic retrofit, coastal/river engineering, construction supervision, erosion protection, quarry and mine reclamation or development, land use development and management, site investigation planning, management and supervision.
- Consultancy: We can serve as an expert witness and advise on natural hazards and geotechnical risk management.
Award winning geotechnical work
Many of our geotechnical team are distinguished staff who are internationally recognised in their field of expertise.
Our geotechnical work has been recognised with the following awards:
- NZTA GEM Awards – Highly Commended, Excellent Customer Care during an event or incident - Alexandra Geotechnical Rapid Response Team (2013)
- Ingenium Excellence Award for Public Infrastructure, cost greater than $10m – SH1 Caversham Highway Improvements Stage 1, Dunedin (2013
- Freyssinet Award – Pathmanathan Brabhaharan, Supreme Technical Award for Engineering Achievers (2013)
- ACENZ Merit Award - Transmission Gully Geotechnical and Scheme Assessment (2010)
- ACENZ Merit Award - West Wind, Wind Farm at Makara near Wellington (2010)
- INGENIUM Hynds Paper of the Year Award - Kawakawa Bay Landslip Remediation (2010)
- New Zealand Engineering Excellence Award - Building and Construction, Gisborne Police Station (2009)
- ACENZ Silver Award of Excellence for Innovative Foundation System Design for the Gisborne Police Station (2009)