Image ©: Juliusz Sokołowski, Courtesy of JEMS Architekci
The Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw’s city centre traces its history back to 1911, with a dedicated building for what was then the Warsaw School of Fine Arts being completed in 1914. A recent refurbishment of this historic building aimed to improve the Academy’s infrastructure and enhance its educational offering. Thanks to the redevelopment, the Academy can now accept more students and realize more projects, with the additional space allowing for large sculptures, production design, visual culture management and art restoration departments. The development restored the building’s façade and added another storey and an extension, with the shape of the superstructure reflecting the roof of the historic Academy. Between the modern and old buildings, a courtyard connected to the street reveals views of the historic façade. The extension provides an assembly hall for 300 people, lecture rooms, a foyer, workshops, cafe and technical rooms.