We can assess the impact of an explosion on an existing or new structure and recommend measures to protect it. We recognise that any intrusive security measure has a direct impact on the local community, and for this reason we collaborate with architects and local consultants to integrate any mitigation measure in the design.
For example, we are experts in providing protection in complex, crowded cities, where the trend for exposed columns in modern urban architecture can make structures vulnerable. The same dedication is applied to every project ranging from small scale studies to whole frame modelling, with a responsive and proactive approach. At WSP, blast engineering means providing solutions to our clients – we use state of the art software to simulate the explosion in order to calculate the level of impact a bomb would have on a structure and to assess if the structure is capable of withstanding it. If not, we propose a range of suitable mitigation measures.
At WSP, we provide specialist structural analysis services for all aspects of structural-engineering. The team has a diverse background and can advise on many areas of advanced engineering should a complex engineering problem arise. We are also members of the Register of Security Engineers and Specialists (RSES ).
The blast engineering team is fully integrated with WSP’s design teams who together provide:
• Economic solutions for our clients
• Early input in the project design, working closely with clients from the outset
• Bespoke solutions that are tailored to our clients’ needs. We have capability of using first principles where we deal with problems outside standard building code, from simplified assessments to global finite element dynamic non-linear analysis
Our capabilities include:
• Blast resistant design
• Blast assessment and consequence analysis
• Structural and glazing response analysis to blast
• Whole building detailed frame analysis
• Detailed connection modelling to establish realistic connection performance
• Disproportionate collapse and column removal analysis
• Global robustness analysis
• Alternate load paths analysis
• Aviation security in airport development (ASIAD) compliance review
• Building fabric vulnerability assessment
• Arena blast testing
• Explosive storage and ammunitions process facilities design