WSP provided a range of engineering services for 1 Shelley Street, creating one of Australia’s most sustainable buildings while balancing a host of commercial and logistical considerations.
It is now the Sydney headquarters for the Macquarie Group. The light-filled interior features a 10-storey high central atrium with dramatic meeting room pods projecting into the space.
Originally, it was a residential scheme, and when the decision was made to switch to a commercial building, five basement levels had already been constructed, so it was quite a challenge to use the original site lines. WSP’s engineers worked closely with the tenant and builder to integrate the building services within the base building, designing them to fit around its unusual structure. One of the greatest challenges was the atrium that links the two parts of the building.
WSP undertook extensive analyses of thermal performance to incorporate as many opportunities for passive cooling as possible, as the façade is quite a wide expanse exposed to the afternoon sun, and there is no external shading on the building or louvres.
High-Quality Working Environment
A major focus for the client was providing a very modern, high-quality working environment, so the building services had to support that too. WSP carried out studies to demonstrate the benefits of providing additional fresh air and passive cooling, and how it can help to improve health and reduce absenteeism in staff. A lot of what was supposed to be underground parking was converted to plant space for the passive chilled beam technology. As the office is situated next to Sydney Harbour, the system draws on water from the harbour itself, which means there are no cooling towers and a lot of water and energy is saved.
- 2010 Architectural Steel Design Award, Winner, Australian Steel Institute, Commercial, NSW
- 2010 Structural Engineering Steel Design Award, Winner, Australian Steel Institute, Commercial, NSW
- 2010 Multilevel Steel Building Steel Design Award, Winner, Australian Steel Institute, Commercial NSW
- 2010 Australian Construction Achievement Award, Finalist, Australian Constructors Association and Engineers Australia, Open, NSW
- 2010 Excellence Award, Winner, Engineers Australia, Commercial, National
- 2010 Excellence Award, Winner, Engineers Australia, Commercial, NSW
- 2010 Szencorp Green Building Award, Finalist, United Nations Association of Australia, Open, NSW
- 2009 Estate Master Property Development Award, Australian Property Institute Excellence in Property Awards, Commercial, NSW
- 2009 Highly Commended BPN Sustainability Awards – Large Commercial Category, BPN Sustainability Awards, Environmental, NSW
- 2009 Excellence in Constructions Best Use of Steel, Winner, Masters Builders Association, Commercial, NSW
- 2009 Commercial Development, High Commendation, Urban Taskforce Australia, Commercial, NSW